Sunday, February 3, 2008

Depending on the kindness of strangers

Knowing that expressing my views on a UW branch campus to my representatives won't do any good, I took some time today to email my thoughts to the members of key committees in the process. That includes all members of the Senate Ways and Means, Senate Higher Education and House Higher Education committees.

Emailing a legislator is really slow process - necessary to eliminate spam and mass mailings - so if anyone else wanted to do it you might want to use regular old mail. I think it is a good investment of time, however, because they are the only ones who might actually halt this process. I don't think they are less greedy than Snohomish county political leaders, they just have less to gain.

Below is a sample sent to the Senate Ways and Means members who are meeting this week on the topic according to Jerry Cornfield's column in the Herald today.

I am not a resident of your district, but I am writing you today because my Snohomish county congressional delegation does not represent my views regarding the creation of a new university in Snohomish county. I see the effort to build a new or branch university campus here or anywhere else in the state as siphoning precious tax dollars from education to construction and oppose its funding, regardless of location. I fully support investment in the delivery of education, but not in sewer systems, freeway off-ramps and ivy-covered buildings.


I feel strongly about the importance of education and, unlike most people, I demonstrate that commitment by volunteering to serve on advisory boards for technical and/or business programs at Edmonds Community College, Everett School District and Mukilteo School district (I have a blog for sharing this at http://advisorybored.blogspot.com). As a result, I see issues such as tuition costs and lower high school graduation rates as far more serious threats to education in Snohomish county than having to drive to Seattle. Also, as an IT hiring manager I am painfully aware that the lack of interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) is not caused by the lack of a university in Everett or Marysville. In general terms, I see this branch campus as the solution to Snohomish county's educational needs 30 years ago, not 30 years from now.


As a member of the Ways and Means committee you will have an opportunity to question supporters of the new UW branch this week. I hope you use this meeting to challenge the need for this massive capital expenditure. I would like to see discussion of other options, such as online or hybrid (online/in-person) programs and mini-branch campuses such as Central's branch campuses at Edmonds CC, Everett CC and Highline CC.